13th Sitting of the Senate
1st Session - 11th Republican Parliament
Leave of Absence was granted to Sen. Daniel Solomon who is out of the country.
The President of the Senate received correspondence from the Speaker of the House with regards to the establishment of a Joint Select Committee appointed to consider and report on the Family and Children Division Bill 2016 by April 29, 2016.
The Senate paid tribute to former Minister and Member of Parliament for St. Ann’s East, Mr. Lincoln Myers who passed away on Tuesday March 15th, 2016.
Temporary Senator, Mr. Wayne Munro took his oath of allegiance.
Four Papers were laid in the name of the Minister of Finance. See Supplemental Order Paper for details.
1. The Report of the Joint Select Committee appointed to consider and report on the Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Property (Amendment) Bill, 2015
2. The Second Interim Report of the Joint Select Committee appointed to consider and report on the Whistleblower Protection Bill, 2015 and
3. The First Report of the Senate Standing Orders Committee
Three urgent questions were posed at today’s Sitting. See Order Paper for details.
Seven questions qualified for oral answer. See Order Paper for details.
Senator Wade Mark made two requests for leave to move the adjournment of the Senate on Definite Matters of urgent public importance namely
1. the large scale retrenchment of workers due to planned closures and the pending detrimental impact on the social, financial and emotional stability and harmony of our society.
2. the recent predictions for food security in the country because of the worsening foreign exchange crisis.
The President of the Senate was not satisfied that these matters qualified under Standing Order 16.
Sen. the Hon. Franklin Khan moved that the Senate concur with the House of Representatives in the establishment of a Joint Select Committee to consider and report on the Family and Children Division Bill 2016. This motion was approved. Sen. Michael Coppin, Sen. Hafeez Ali, Sen. Nadine Stewart, Sen. Khadijah Ameen and Sen. Melissa Ramkissoon were appointed to serve on this Committee.
Senator Wade Mark moved a motion to condemn the actions of the Government in its dismissal of the Governor of Central Bank on December 24, 2015. Hon. Colm Imbert was the first to enter the debate. View this motion here.
Prior to the adjournment, Senators expressed greetings to the nation as we anticipate upcoming celebrations of Easter and Spiritual Baptist Liberation Day. The Sitting concluded at 6:14 p.m. The Senate adjourned to a date to be fixed.