The Joint Select Committee on National Security is inviting comments related to its inquiry into the Criminal Justice System in Trinidad and Tobago to determine strategies to achieve greater efficiency and effectiveness.
Essentially, the Committee will consider:
- The components of an effective Criminal Justice System and how they are interrelated;
- The primary challenges faced at each stage in the Criminal Justice process; and
- Strategies (including legislation) to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Criminal Justice System.
General public comments seem to indicate that there are delays at every stage of the criminal justice process. Therefore, the Committee is inviting you to share your experience with one or more of the following issues:
Use the following link to comment on any of the issues listed below: https://bit.ly/3U1jzbU
- Lengthy period before commencement of a trial;
- Prolonged length of trial;
- Time spent on remand;
- Prison facilities and lack of proper rehabilitation programmes;
- Insufficiency of evidence leading to unsuccessful attempts to prosecute matters; or
- Any other specific issue with the Criminal Justice System that has affected you.
Written comments can also be forwarded via email to email@example.com.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS MAY 05, 2023.