12th REPUBLICAN PARLIAMENT: 2nd SESSION
House of Representatives
Summary of the 5th Sitting of the 2nd Session of the 12th Republican Parliament
(Saturday October 9, 2021 at 10:00 AM)
Government Business: Bills Second Reading
- The Appropriation (Financial Year 2022) Bill, 2021: Debate resumed on the Appropriation (Financial Year - 2022) Bill, 2021 with the Minister of Social Development and Family Services being first to contribute. 11 Members made contributions before the Minister of Finance rose to wind up the debate. The Bill was referred to the Standing Finance Committee (SFC) for consideration, together with the estimates. The procedure for the Committee was outlined by the Speaker. The SFC was suspended until Monday October 11, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. and subsequently met on October 11-15, 2021. The Estimates were approved. The Bill was then read a third time and passed with a division of 20 for, none against, 17 abstentions.
Contributions by: Sen. the Hon. Donna Cox [Minister of Social Development and Family Services], Dr. Rishad Seecheran, MP [Caroni East] [Opposition Member], Sen. the Hon. Paula Gopee-Scoon [Minister of Trade and Industry], Mr. Rushton Paray, MP [Mayaro] [Opposition Member], Mr. Keith Scotland, MP [Port-of-Spain South] [Government Member], Mr. Arnold Ram, MP [Caroni Central] [Opposition Member], Sen. the Hon. Dr. Amery Browne [Minister of Foreign and CARICOM Affairs], Mr. Rodney Charles, MP [Naparima] [Opposition Member], Mr. Kennedy Richards, MP [Point Fortin] [Government Member], Ms. Khadijah Ameen, MP [St. Augustine] [Opposition Member], Hon. Lisa Morris-Julian, MP [D'Abadie/O'Meara] [Minister in the Ministry of Education], Hon. Colm Imbert, MP [Diego Martin North/East] [Minister of Finance]
- Statement made by the Member for San Fernando West: Before the wind up of the Minister of Finance, the Member for Oropouche East raised a matter of privilege in response to statements made by the Attorney General during the budget debate. The Speaker indicated that she would rule on the matter at a subsequent sitting of the House.
Contributions by: Dr. Roodal Moonilal, MP [Oropouche East] [Opposition Member]
- Statement made by the Attorney General: The Attorney General made a Personal Statement in response to comments he made during the budget debate and against which a Matter of Privilege was raised by the Member for Oropouche East.
Contributions by: Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP [San Fernando West] [Attorney General]
- Matters raised by the Attorney General: As a result of the Personal Explanation of the Attorney General, the Speaker ruled that no prima facie case warranted the attention of the House.
Contributions by: Hon. Bridgid Annisette-George, MP [Speaker of the House]
- The House adjourned to a date to be fixed.: The Sitting ended at 6:54 p.m.