11th REPUBLICAN PARLIAMENT: 3rd SESSION
House of Representatives
Summary of the 12th Sitting of the 3rd Session of the 11th Republican Parliament
(Wednesday December 6, 2017 at 10:00 AM)
Announcements By The Speaker/Deputy Speaker
- Leave of Absence: The Speaker granted leave of absence to the Member for Chaguanas West (December 6-15) and Oropouche East (today).
- 12 Papers Laid: 12 Papers were laid. See the Order Paper for details.
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
- Prime Minister's Questions: Seven Questions are to be posed under Prime Minister's Questions.
- Two Urgent Questions: Two urgent questions were posed and answered. The Questions are appended to the Order Paper.
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
- Seven Questions on Notice: There are seven questions on notice on the Order Paper.
Government Business: Bills Second Reading
- The Anti-Gang Bill, 2017: The Attorney General moved the second reading of the Anti-Gang Bill, 2017, which was introduced in the House on December 1, 2017. The Member for Naparima was first to enter the debate, followed by the Member for Laventille West, the Member for St. Augustine, the Minister of Health and the Leader of the Opposition. 19 Members made contributions before the Attorney General rose to conclude. The Bill was read a second time and referred to a Committee of the Whole to be considered clause by clause. The Bill was approved at Committee Stage with amendments. At third reading the bill failed to receive the support of a three fifths majority and was defeated. The result of the division was 21 for, 12 against, 1 abstention.
Contributions by: Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP [San Fernando West] [Attorney General], Mr. Rodney Charles, MP [Naparima] [Opposition Member], Hon. Fitzgerald Hinds, MP [Laventille West] [Minister in the Ministry of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs], Mr. Prakash Ramadhar, MP [St. Augustine] [Opposition Member], Hon. Terrence Deyalsingh, MP [St. Joseph] [Minister of Health], Hon. Kamla Persad-Bissessar, SC, MP [Siparia] [Leader of the Opposition], Hon. Stuart Young, MP [Port-of-Spain North/St. Ann's West] [Minister in the Office of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs and Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister], Dr. Bhoendradatt Tewarie, MP [Caroni Central] [Opposition Member], Hon. Maj. Gen. Edmund Dillon, MP [Point Fortin] [Minister of National Security], Dr. Fuad Khan, MP [Barataria/San Juan] [Opposition Member], Hon. Anthony Garcia, MP [Arima] [Minister of Education], Mr. Barry Padarath, MP [Princes Town] [Opposition Member], Brig. Gen. Ancil Antoine, MP [D'Abadie/O'Meara] [Government Member], Mr. Rudranath Indarsingh, MP [Couva South] [Opposition Member], Hon. Darryl Smith, MP [Diego Martin Central] [Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs], Hon. Dr. Lovell Francis, MP [Moruga/Tableland] [Minister of State in the Ministry of Education], Hon. Randall Mitchell, MP [San Fernando East] [Minister of Housing and Urban Development], Mrs. Glenda Jennings-Smith, MP [Toco/Sangre Grande] [Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry of National Security], Hon. Shamfa Cudjoe, MP [Tobago West] [Minister of Tourism], Hon. Dr. Keith Rowley, MP [Diego Martin West] [Prime Minister]
Matter On The Adjournment
- Failure to Provide Adequate Health Care: The Member for Caroni East raised the issue of the failure of the Government to provide adequate health care. The Minister of Health responded.
Contributions by: Dr. Tim Gopeesingh, MP [Caroni East] [Opposition Member], , MP
- The House adjourns to Friday December 8, 2017 at 1:30 p.m.: The House adjourns to Friday December 8, 2017 at 1:30 p.m. at which time the Finance Bill will be considered. The sitting ended at 1:22 a.m.