11th REPUBLICAN PARLIAMENT: 3rd SESSION
House of Representatives
Summary of the 8th Sitting of the 3rd Session of the 11th Republican Parliament
(Friday November 10, 2017 at 1:30 PM)
Announcements By The Speaker/Deputy Speaker
- Leave of Absence/Senate appointment of Committees: The Speaker granted leave of absence to the Member for Couva North (Nov1030) and to the Member for Tobago West, Oropouche West and La Horquetta/Talparo (today's sitting). The Speaker also read a letter from the President of the Senate indicating the Senate's decision to refer the Gambling (Gaming and Betting) Control Bill and the Cybercrime Bill to Joint Select Committees, that those Committees be mandated to adopt the work done by previous Committees in the Second Session and that the Committees report by March 31, 2018.
Contributions by: Hon. Bridgid Annisette-George, MP [Speaker of the House]
- Ruling on Matter of Privilege raised by MP for Siparia: The Speaker then ruled on a matter of privilege involving statements made by the Prime Minister on September 16, 2017.
- 63 Papers: 63 Papers were laid. See the Order Paper, Supplemental Order Paper and Second Supplemental Order Paper. Access available electronic copies of Papers laid on this day via our Dropbox Folder.
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
- 10 Urgent Questions: There were ten urgent questions to be answered. All questions were answered. See the questions in the Order Paper.
Requests For Leave To Move The Adjournment Of The House On Definite Matters Of Urgent Public Importance
- Non Payment to Caterers of the School Feeding Programme: The Member for Caroni East sought leave to raise as a definite matter, the non payment of caterers of the school feeding programme. The Speaker indicated that the matter did not qualify under this Standing Order.
Introduction Of Bills
- Four Bills were introduced: Four Bills were introduced. See the Third Supplemental Order Paper.
Government Business: Motions
- Confirm the Provisional Collection of Taxes Order, 2017: The Minister of Finance moved a Motion asking the House to confirm the Provisional Collection of Taxes Order, 2017. The Member for Oropouche East was first to enter the debate, followed by the Attorney General, the Member for Caroni Central and the Minister of National Security. 12 Members made contributions before the Minister of Finance rose to conclude. The Motion was approved.
Contributions by: Hon. Colm Imbert, MP [Diego Martin North/East] [Minister of Finance], Dr. Roodal Moonilal, MP [Oropouche East] [Opposition Member], Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP [San Fernando West] [Attorney General], Dr. Bhoendradatt Tewarie, MP [Caroni Central] [Opposition Member], Hon. Maj. Gen. Edmund Dillon, MP [Point Fortin] [Minister of National Security], Dr. Tim Gopeesingh, MP [Caroni East] [Opposition Member], Hon. Ayanna Webster-Roy, MP [Tobago East] [Minister of State in the Office of the Prime Minister], Mrs. Christine Newallo-Hosein, MP [Cumuto/Manzanilla] [Opposition Member], Hon. Cherrie-Ann Crichlow-Cockburn, MP [Lopinot/Bon Air West] [Minister of Social Development and Family Services], Mr. Rudranath Indarsingh, MP [Couva South] [Opposition Member], Hon. Terrence Deyalsingh, MP [St. Joseph] [Minister of Health], Mr. Ganga Singh, MP [Chaguanas West] [Opposition Member], Hon. Stuart Young, MP [Port-of-Spain North/St. Ann's West] [Minister in the Office of the Attorney General and Legal Affairs and Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister], Hon. Colm Imbert, MP [Diego Martin North/East] [Minister of Finance]
Matter On The Adjournment
- Delays in opening the Gasparillo Early Childhood Education Center: The Member for Tabaquite raised as a matter on the Motion for the Adjournment of the House, the delay in opening the Gasparillo Early Childhood Education Center." The Minister of Education responded.
Contributions by: Dr. Surujrattan Rambachan, MP [Tabaquite] [Opposition Member], Hon. Anthony Garcia, MP [Arima] [Minister of Education]
- The House adjourns to Friday November 17, 2017 at 1:30 p.m.: At the next sitting the House will consider Bills 1 and 2 on today's Order Paper. The sitting ended at 10:04 p.m.