House of Representatives
Summary of the 2nd Sitting of the 3rd Session of the 10th Republican Parliament
(Friday August 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM)
Announcements By The Speaker/Deputy Speaker
- Leave of Absence: Leave of absence granted to the Member for San Fernando East for the period July 24, 2012 to October 31, 2012 and the Minister of Justice and Member for St Joseph for August 17, 2012.
Tributes were paid to former Member of Parliament, Mr. Kelvin Ramnath by the Leader of the House, the Member for Port of Spain South and the Speaker of the House. The House stood for a moment of silence.
In accordance with Standing Order 71(2) the Speaker appointed Members to serve on the following Sessional Select Committees for the Third Session of the Tenth Parliament:
• Standing Orders Committee
• House Committee
• Committee of Privileges
• Regulations Committee
- 30 Papers: 30 Papers were laid. See the Order Paper for details.
Introduction Of Bills
- The Miscellaneous Provisions (Financial Intelligence Unit of Trinidad and Tobago and Anti-Terrorism) Bill, 2012.: The Miscellaneous Provisions (Financial Intelligence Unit of Trinidad and Tobago and Anti-Terrorism) Bill, 2012 was introduced and read a first time.
Statements By Ministers
- Statements by Ministers: Statement by the Minister of Local Government, Hon. Dr. Surujrattan Rambachan on, "Flooding, Devastation and Loss of Lives and Property in Diego Martin and Environs."
Contributions by: Hon. Dr. Surujrattan Rambachan, MP [Tabaquite] [Minister of Local Government]
Government Business: Bills Second Reading
- Second Reading of the Miscellaneous Provisions: The Attorney General moved the Second Reading of the Miscellaneous Provisions (Financial Intelligence Unit of Trinidad and Tobago and Anti-Terrorism) Bill, 2012.
The Bill was considered in Committee and passed with amendments. The Bill was read a Third time and passed with 35 Members voting for the Bill. There were no Members voting against and there were no abstentions.
Contributions by: Sen. the Hon. Anand Ramlogan, SC [Attorney General], Mr. Colm Imbert, MP [Diego Martin North/East] [Opposition Member], Hon. Jack Warner, MP [Chaguanas West] [Minister of National Security], Ms. Marlene McDonald, MP [Port-of-Spain South] [Opposition Chief Whip], Hon. Rudranath Indarsingh, MP [Couva South] [Minister of State in the Ministry of Finance and the Economy]
- The House adjourned to a date to be fixed: The House adjourned at 2.41pm to a date to be fixed.
Remarks on the Olympic Team’s Performance by the Minister of Sport, Hon. Anil Roberts.
Greetings on the celebration of Eid-ur-Fitr by the Prime Minister, Hon. Kamla Persad-Bissessar; the Member for Laventille East/Morvant, Ms. Donna Cox; and the Speaker of the House, Hon. Wade Mark.
Contributions by: Hon. Kamla Persad-Bissessar, SC, MP [Siparia] [Prime Minister], Ms. Donna Cox, MP [Laventille East/Morvant] [Opposition Member], Hon. Wade Mark, MP [Speaker of the House]