House of Representatives
Summary of the 24th Sitting of the 2nd Session of the 10th Republican Parliament
(Friday March 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM)
Announcements By The Speaker/Deputy Speaker
- Leave of Absence: The Deputy Speaker granted leave of absence to the Members for Tabaquite, Chaguanas East, Caroni Central and Couva South from today's sitting.
- One Paper: One Paper was laid. See Order Paper for details.
Contributions by: Hon. Dr. Roodal Moonilal, MP [Oropouche East] [Minister of Housing and the Environment and Leader of the House]
Presentation Of Reports From Select Committees
- Interim Report: Joint Select Committee - Legislative Proposals on Public Procurement: The Minister of Planning presented the Interim Report of the Joint Select Committee appointed to consider and report to Parliament on the Legislative Proposals to provide for Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Property and the Repeal and Replacement of the Central Tenders Board Act for the Second Session [2011/2012] Tenth Parliament.
Contributions by: Sen. the Hon. Dr. Bhoendradatt Tewarie [Minister of Planning and the Economy]
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
- Nine Questions: Nine Questions qualified for Oral Answer, of which five were answered and four being deferred to the next Sitting. See Order Paper for details.
Contributions by: Hon. Dr. Roodal Moonilal, MP [Oropouche East] [Minister of Housing and the Environment and Leader of the House], Sen. the Hon. Anand Ramlogan, SC [Attorney General]
Statements By Ministers
- Ministry of Sport Updates: The Minister of Sport rose to inform Members of some of the current activities and events in the Ministry of Sport.
Contributions by: Hon. Anil Roberts, MP [D'Abadie/O'Meara] [Minister of Sport]
Government Business: Bills Second Reading
- The Children Bill, 2012: The Minister of Gender, Youth and Child Development moved the second reading of the Children Bill, 2012. The Member for Diego Martin Central was the first to contribute to the debate on this bill followed by contributions by the Members for Couva North, Arouca/Maloney, Tobago East, Arima, Caroni East and La Brea. Debate was then suspended.
Contributions by: Sen. the Hon. Verna St. Rose Greaves [Minister of Gender, Youth and Child Development], Dr. Amery Browne, MP [Diego Martin Central] [Opposition Member], Hon. Ramona Ramdial, MP [Couva North] [Minister of State in the Ministry of Gender, Youth and Child Development], Ms. Alicia Hospedales, MP [Arouca/Maloney] [Opposition Member], Hon. Dr. Lincoln Douglas, MP [Lopinot/Bon Air West] [Minister of State in the Ministry of the People and Social Development], Mr. Colm Imbert, MP [Diego Martin North/East] [Opposition Member], Hon. Vernella Alleyne-Toppin, MP [Tobago East] [Minister of Tobago Development], Hon. Rodger Samuel, MP [Arima] [Minister of State in the Office of the Prime Minister], Hon. Dr. Tim Gopeesingh, MP [Caroni East] [Minister of Education], Mr. Fitzgerald Jeffrey, MP [La Brea] [Opposition Member]
Matter On The Adjournment
- The Authority of the Commissioner of Police: The Member Diego Martin North/East raised the matter of the Commissioner of Police exceeding his authority by improperly procuring the lease for Air Support Services for the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service. The Minister of National Security rose to respond.
Contributions by: Mr. Colm Imbert, MP [Diego Martin North/East] [Opposition Member], Sen. the Hon. Brig. John Sandy [Minister of National Security]
- Decline in National Oil Production: The Member Diego Martin North/East raised the matter of the adverse economic consequences of the Government’s inability to arrest the decline in national oil production over the last twenty months. The Minister of Energy and Energy Affairs rose to respond to the matter.
Contributions by: Mr. Colm Imbert, MP [Diego Martin North/East] [Opposition Member], Sen. the Hon. Kevin Ramnarine [Minister of Energy and Energy Affairs]
- The House adjourned to Friday March 16, 2012 at 1:30 p.m.: The House adjourned to Friday March 16, 2012 at 1:30 p.m. at which time debate is expected to begin on the Miscellaneous Provisions (Maternity Protection and the Masters and Servants Ordinance) Bill, 2012.
Before adjourning, the Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition and the Deputy Speaker of the House extended greetings to the women of Trinidad and Tobago who celebrated International Women's Day on Thursday March 8, 2012. The sitting adjourned at 11:35 p.m.