12th REPUBLICAN PARLIAMENT: 1st SESSION
Summary of the 14th Sitting of the 1st Session of the 12th Republican Parliament
(Tuesday February 23, 2021 at 1:30 PM)
Bills Brought From The House Of Representatives
- The Tobago House of Assembly (Amendment) Bill, 2021: The Tobago House of Assembly (Amendment) Bill is to be read a first time in the Senate.
- Five Papers: There are five Papers to be laid. See the Order Paper.
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
- Three Urgent Questions: Three Urgent Questions were posed. See the Appendix to the Order Paper for details.
- Six Questions on Notice: Six Questions on Notice qualified for oral answer. See the Order Paper.
Motions Relating To The Business Or Sittings Of The House And Moved By A Minister Or Parliamentary Secretary
- Adjustment of Speaking Time: The Leader of Government Business moved that the Senate agree to adjusting the Speaking time of Members to 45 minutes for the mover of the Motion, 40 minutes for the first responder and 30 minutes for all additional responders. The Motion was approved.
Contributions by: Sen. the Hon. Franklin Khan [Minister of Energy and Energy Industries]
Private Business: Motions
- Speaking Time of Senators: Sen. Wade Mark moved a Motion asking the Senate to revert to Speaking times as set out in the Standing Orders. Debate then began on the Motion with nine members making contributions before debate on the Motion was suspended.
Contributions by: Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon. Dr. Amery Browne [Minister of Foreign and CARICOM Affairs], Sen. Anthony Vieira [Independent Senator], Sen. Jayanti Lutchmedial [Opposition Senator], Sen. Nigel de Freitas [Vice-President of the Senate], Sen. Dr. Varma Deyalsingh [Independent Senator], Sen. Anil Roberts [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon. Franklin Khan [Minister of Energy and Energy Industries], Sen. David Nakhid [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon. Clarence Rambharat [Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries]
Matter On The Adjournment
- Strengthening of Press Freedom: Senator Mark raised as a Matter on the Motion for the Adjournment of the Senate, the need for the Government to bring to Parliament an amendment to the appropriate legislation to strengthen the protection of press freedom in light of a recent decision in the High Court The Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries responded.
Contributions by: Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon. Clarence Rambharat [Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries]
- Freight Charges in US Dollars: Senator Mark then raised a second matter, the decision by several shipping companies to accept only US dollars as payment for freight charges for goods shipped into and out of this country and the impact of this decision on prices, employment and business activity. The Minister of Trade and Industry responded.
Contributions by: Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon. Paula Gopee-Scoon [Minister of Trade and Industry and Enterprise Development]
- The Senate adjourns to Tuesday March 2, 2021 at 1:30 p.m.: At the next Sitting, debate is expected on the Tobago House of Assembly (Amendment) Bill, 2021. The Sitting ended at 6:34 p.m.