12th REPUBLICAN PARLIAMENT: 1st SESSION
Summary of the 10th Sitting of the 1st Session of the 12th Republican Parliament
(Tuesday January 12, 2021 at 1:30 PM)
Announcements By The President/Vice-President
- Appointment of Temporary Senator: The President granted leave of absence to Senator David Nakhid. Ms. Renuka Rambhajan was appointed to temporarily replace Sen. Nakhid during his absence.
Contributions by: Sen. Renuka Rambhajan [Opposition Senator (Temporary)]
- Three Papers: Three Papers were laid. See the Order Paper.
Presentation Of Reports From Select Committees
- One Report was presented: One Report was presented. See the Order Paper.
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
- One Urgent Question: One Urgent Question was listed on the Order Paper. The question was answered.
- Ten Questions on Notice: There are ten question on notice. See the Order Paper.
Motions Relating To The Business Or Sittings Of The House And Moved By A Minister Or Parliamentary Secretary
- Extension of Time to JSC Shipping: The Leader of Government Business sought leave, pursuant to the Interim Report of the Joint Select Committee on the Shipping Bill, 2020, to extend the time available to the Committee to allow its work to continue. The Senate agreed.
- Appointments to Committees: The Leader of Government Business announced a number of changes of Government Members on the JSC Social Services and Public Administration, Foreign Affairs, Finance and Legal Affairs and the Public Accounts Committee.
Government Business: Bills Second Reading
- The Evidence (Amendment) Bill, 2020: The Attorney General moved the Second Reading of the Evidence (Amendment) Bill, 2020. Eight Senators made contributions before debate on the Bill was suspended.
Contributions by: Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP [San Fernando West] [Attorney General], Sen. Jayanti Lutchmedial [Opposition Senator], Sen. Hazel Thompson-Ahye [Independent Senator], Sen. the Hon. Renuka Sagramsingh-Sooklal [Minister in the Office of the Attorney General and Ministry of Legal Affairs], Sen. Renuka Rambhajan [Opposition Senator (Temporary)], Sen. Anthony Vieira [Independent Senator], Sen. the Hon. Randall Mitchell [Minister of Tourism, Culture and the Arts], Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Sen. Evans Welch [Independent Senator]
Matter On The Adjournment
- Negative Effects of the Illegal Use of Fireworks: Sen. Charisse Seepersad raised a matter on the Motion for the Adjournment of the House, the need for the Government to prioritise formulating a strategy to address the illegal use of fireworks and the negative effects on residential communities and domestic animals. The Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries responded.
Contributions by: Sen. Charrise Seepersad [Independent Senator], Sen. the Hon. Clarence Rambharat [Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries]
- Proposed Divestment of Lake Asphalt: Senator Wade Mark then raised a matter on the Motion for the Adjournment of the House, the need for the Government to provide a rationale and a timeline for the proposed divestment of Lake Asphalt Trinidad and Tobago Limited. The Minister of Energy and Energy Industries responded.
Contributions by: Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon. Franklin Khan [Minister of Energy and Energy Industries]
- The Senate adjourns to Tuesday January 19, 2021 at 1:30 p.m.: At the next sitting, the Evidence (Amendment) Bill is expected to be taken through all its stages. The Sitting ended at 6:29 p.m.