11th REPUBLICAN PARLIAMENT: 4th SESSION
Summary of the 17th Sitting of the 4th Session of the 11th Republican Parliament
(Tuesday March 12, 2019 at 1:30 PM)
Announcements By The President/Vice-President
- Leave of Absence: The Vice President advised that the President of the Senate is currently acting as President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. Leave of absence was granted to Sen. the Hon. Dennis Moses, Sen. Foster Cummings and Sen. Dr. Maria Dillon-Remy, who are out of the country. Mr. Ndale Young, Mr. Augustus Thomas, Mr. Wayne Inniss and Ms. Shervon Ifill were appointed temporary Senators in their absence.
Contributions by: Sen. Nigel De Freitas [Vice-President of the Senate]
Oath Of Allegiance Of A New Member
- Temporary Senators: Temporary Senators Ndale Young, Augustus Thomas, Wayne Inniss and Shervon Ifill took the oath of allegiance.
Contributions by: Sen. Ndale Young [Government Senator (Temporary)], , MP, , MP, , MP
Bills Brought From The House Of Representatives
- One Bill: The Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2018 was brought from the House of Representatives.
Contributions by: Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP [San Fernando West] [Attorney General]
Presentation Of Reports From Select Committees
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
- Thirteen Questions on Notice: Thirteen questions qualified for oral answer. Question #78 was deferred for two weeks.
Contributions by: Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon. Clarence Rambharat [Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries], Sen. the Hon. Robert Le Hunte [Minister of Public Utilities], Sen. Paul Richards [Independent Senator], Sen. the Hon. Allyson West [Minister in the Ministry of Finance], Sen. Amrita Deonarine [Independent Senator], Sen. Taharqa Obika [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon. Clarence Rambharat [Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries], Sen. the Hon. Franklin Khan [Minister of Energy and Energy Industries], Sen. Gerald Ramdeen [Opposition Senator], Hon. Dr. Nyan Gadsby-Dolly, MP [St. Ann's East] [Minister of Community Development, Culture and the Arts], Hon. Terrence Deyalsingh, MP [St. Joseph] [Minister of Health]
Private Business: Motions
Matter On The Adjournment
- Two Matters: Sen. Wade Mark raised a matter regarding the failure of the Government to appoint members to the Registration, Recognition and Certification Board. The Minister of Labour and Small Enterprise Development responded.
Sen. Mark raised another matter regarding the management, board and chairman of VMCOTT. The Minister of Works and Transport responded.
Contributions by: Sen. Wade Mark [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon. Jennifer Baptiste-Primus [Minister of Labour and Small Enterprise Development], Sen. the Hon. Rohan Sinanan [Minister of Works and Transport]
- The Senate adjourned to Tuesday March 19, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.: The Sitting concluded at 6:38 p.m. The Senate adjourned to Tuesday March 19, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.