11th REPUBLICAN PARLIAMENT: 3rd SESSION
Summary of the 39th Sitting of the 3rd Session of the 11th Republican Parliament
(Thursday September 13, 2018 at 2:00 PM)
Announcements By The President/Vice-President
- Leave of Absence: Leave of absence was granted to Sen. Melissa Ramkissoon and Sen. H.R. Ian Roach who are ill. Ms. Zola Phillips and Pastor Clive Dottin were appointed temporary Senators in their place.
Contributions by: Sen. Nigel De Freitas [Vice-President of the Senate]
Oath Of Allegiance Of A New Member
- Temporary Senators: Temporary Senators, Ms. Zola Phillips and Pastor Clive Dottin took the oath of allegiance.
Contributions by: Sen. Zola Phillips [Independent Senator (Temporary)], , MP
Presentation Of Reports From Select Committees
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
Requests For Leave To Move The Adjournment Of The House On Definite Matters Of Urgent Public Importance
- One Request: Sen. Saddam Hosein made a request for leave to move the adjournment of the House on a defininte matter namely the lack of preparedness and failure of the Government to prevent the closure of over twenty-five schools across Trinidad and Tobago at the beginning of new school term on September 3, 2018. The Vice President of the Senate was not satisfied that this matter qualified under Standing Order 16.
Contributions by: Sen. Saddam Hosein [Opposition Senator], Sen. Nigel De Freitas [Vice-President of the Senate]
Motions Relating To The Business Or Sittings Of The House And Moved By A Minister Or Parliamentary Secretary
- Extension of Joint Select Committee: The Leader of Government Business moved a motion to allow an extension to the JSC on the Gambling (Gaming and Betting) Control Bill, 2017 to allow the Committee to complete its work by September 26, 2018. The motion was approved.
Contributions by: Sen. the Hon. Franklin Khan [Minister of Energy and Energy Industries]
Government Business: Bills Second Reading
- The Miscellaneous Provisions (Supreme Court of Judicature and Children) Bill, 2018: The Attorney General, Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP, continued the moving of the second reading of The Miscellaneous Provisions (Supreme Court of Judicature and Children) Bill, 2018. Debate began on the Bill.
Contributions by: Hon. Faris Al-Rawi, MP [San Fernando West] [Attorney General], Sen. Gerald Ramdeen [Opposition Senator], Sen. Elton Prescott, SC [Independent Senator (Temporary)], Sen. the Hon. Jennifer Baptiste-Primus [Minister of Labour and Small Enterprise Development], Sen. Khadijah Ameen [Opposition Senator]
- The Senate adjourned to Friday September 14, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.: At the next sitting, debate is expected to continue on the Miscellaneous Provisions (Supreme Court of Judicature and Children) Bill, 2018. The sitting ended at 5:00 p.m.
View this Sitting on YouTube via the following link: