Summary of the 36th Sitting of the 2nd Session of the 10th Republican Parliament
(Monday June 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM)
Announcements By The President/Vice-President
- Appointment of Senators: The President of the Senate granted leave to Sen. Dr. Lester Henry and Sen. Subhas Ramkhelawan. Ms. Sherry Ali and Mr. Albert Sydney were appointed to temporarily replace Senators Henry and Ramkhelawan respectively. Also the President of the Senate announced the revocation of the appointments of Sen. the Hon. Brig. John Sandy, Sen. the Hon. Verna St. Rose-Greaves, Sen. Nicole Dyer-Griffith and Sen. Danny Maharaj. Mr. Ganga Singh, Ms. Marlene Coudray, Mr. Larry Howai and Mr. Jamal Mohammed took the oath of office.
Questions To Ministers: Oral Answer
- Four Questions: Four Questions qualified for oral answer. One question (98) was answered. See the Order Paper.
Motions Relating To The Business Or Sittings Of The House And Moved By A Minister Or Parliamentary Secretary
- Private Business: The Leader of Government Business sought leave of the Senate to consider Private Business upon the conclusion of Committee Business. Leave was granted.
Contributions by: Sen. the Hon. Ganga Singh [Minister of the Environment and Water Resources and Leader of Government Business in the Senate]
Committee Business: Motions
- Motion: Adopt the Report - JSC Parliamentary Accommodation: Sen. Dr. James Armstrong moved a Motion asking the Senate to adopt the Second Report of the Joint Select Committee on Parliamentary Accommodation (10th Parliament) - 2011/2012 Session. Sen. Lyndira Oudit was first to enter the debate, followed by Sen. Faris Al-Rawi, Sen. Basharat Ali and Sen. Terrence Deyalsingh. Sen. Armstrong then rose to conclude. The Motion was then approved.
Contributions by: Sen. Dr. James Armstrong [Independent Senator], Sen. Lyndira Oudit [Vice-President of the Senate], Sen. Faris Al-Rawi [Opposition Senator], Sen. the Hon Dr. Bhoendradatt Tewarie [Minister of Planning and Sustainable Development], Sen. Terrence Deyalsingh [Opposition Senator], Sen. Dr. James Armstrong [Independent Senator]
Private Business: Motions
- Private Motion: Recognition of Former Presidents and Prime Ministers: Debate resumed on a Private Motion by Sen. Corinne Baptiste-McKnight which asked the Senate to take tangible methods to honour former Presidents and Prime Ministers. Sen. Pennelope Beckles was first to contribute, followed by Sen. Elton Prescott, SC. Sen. Corinne Baptiste McKnight, the mover of the Motion, rose to conclude. The Motion was then approved.
Contributions by: Sen. Pennelope Beckles [Leader of Opposition Business in the Senate], , MP, , MP
- The Senate adjourned to a date to be fixed: The Senate adjourned to a date to be fixed. Before adjourning, the leader of Government Business indicated that the President issued a Proclamation proroguing the Parliament at midnight on June 26th.