Summary of the 4th Sitting of the 1st Session of the 10th Republican Parliament
(Tuesday July 20, 2010 at 1:30 PM)
Announcements By The President/Vice-President
- Leave of Absence: The Vice-President of the Senate informed the House that the President of the Senate is acting as President of the Republic. The Vice President granted leave to Sen. Patrick Watson (July 20-27) and Sen. Harold Ramkissoon (today). Mr. Sylvester Ramquar and Mrs. Parvatee Anmolsingh-Mahabir were appointed to temporarily replace the President of the Senate and Sen. Harold Ramkissoon respectively.
- 15 Papers: There are 15 Papers to be laid. See the Order Paper and Supplemental Order Paper.
Introduction Of Bills
- Three Bills: Three Bills were introduced, the Evidence (Amendment) (No. 2) Bill, 2010, The Miscellaneous Provisions (Kidnapping and Bail) Bill, 2010 and the Firearms (Amendment) Bill, 2010.
Government Business: Motions
- Motion: State of the Economy: Debate resumed (from July 13, 2010) on a Motion by the Minister of Planning, Economic and Social Restructuring and Gender Affairs which asks the Senate to take note of the State of the Economy. Sen. Victor Wheeler made his maiden contribution, followed by the maiden contributions of the Attorney General, Senator Faris Al-Rawi, Sen. Dr. James Armstrong and the Minister of Public Administration.
Contributions by: Sen. Dr. Victor Wheeler [Independent Senator], Sen. the Hon. Anand Ramlogan [Attorney General], Sen. Faris Al-Rawi [Opposition Senator], Sen. Dr. James Armstrong [Independent Senator], Sen. the Hon. Rudrawatee Nan Gosine-Ramgoolam [Minister of Public Administration]
- The Senate adjourned to Tuesday August 3, 2010 at 1:30 p.m.: At its next sitting, the Senate is expected to consider a Private Motion by Senator Subhas Ramkhelawan which asks the Parliament to take steps to evaluate and maximize its efficiency and effectiveness. The sitting adjourned at 5:40 p.m.
Contributions by: Sen. Lyndira Oudit [Vice-President of the Senate]