Evolution of a Nation: Trinidad and Tobago at 50
25 Jul 2012
On Wednesday July 25, 2012 at 10:30 a.m. His Excellency Prof. George Maxwell Richards, TC, CMT, Ph.D, President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago will officially launch a publication of the Parliament of Trinidad and Tobago entitled: Evolution of a Nation: Trinidad and Tobago at 50 in the J. Hamilton-Maurice Room of the Parliament, Tower D.
This publication consists of the text of a series of lectures by distinguished citizens of Trinidad and Tobago on the occasion of 50 years of bicameralism in Trinidad and Tobago. The lectures are as follows:
- Tobago and constitutional development in the context of the Parliamentary process
- From Legislative Council to House of Representatives: Promoting or hindering democracy?
Dr. Kirk Meighoo
- The effectiveness of Parliament as an organ of State in scrutinising executive action
Professor Rhoda Reddock
- From unicameralism to bicameralism: Trinbago’s constitutional advances (1831–1962)
Professor Brinsley Samaroo
- The relevance of the Senate in a modern democracy
Dr. Hamid A. Ghany
- The role of political parties in the development of democracy in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago
Professor Selwyn Ryan
- A Parliament for the people: Constitution reform and the role of Parliament
Dr. Olabisi Kuboni
- The role of the Head of State in a bicameral system of governance
H.E. Professor George Maxwell Richards
The text of the publication will be posted to this website upon the conclusion of the ceremony.